Fort Wellington National Historic Site of Canada
Fort Wellington was built during the War of 1812 to defend the St. Lawrence River shipping route between Montreal and Kingston from possible attack by the United States. It was rebuilt in response to the threat of Rebellions in 1838. It was transferred to the Department of the Interior in 1923 to be opened to the public as an historic site. The fort is open Mid May-Thanksgiving, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm, and year round for groups by reservation. Visitor Centre with wreck of an 1812-era gunboat, video and exhibits, original grounds and buildings, costumed interpreters and gift store.