On May 30, 2018, Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario leader Doug Ford announced his party’s 2018 election platform, Plan for the People. Below is a high-level synopsis of the major policy initiatives most relevant to Ontario business.
Key Areas at a Glance
- Jobs and Economic Growth: Cut regulations and reduce business tax rates.
- Energy and Electricity: Lower electricity prices and scrap the Green Energy Act.
- Government Accountability: Audit government spending and plan for a balanced budget.
- Health Care: Invest in mental health, dental care for seniors, and beds in both hospitals and long-term care facilities.
- Transportation and Infrastructure: Implement substantial spending on transportation infrastructure, including subways, GO service, and highways.
- Housing: Preserve rent control for existing tenants and increase the supply of affordable housing in the GTA.
- Environment: End the cap and trade system and challenge any attempt by the federal government to impose a carbon tax.