3 Market Street West, Suite #1, Brockville, ON, K6V 7L2    phone 613.342.6553   email icon Email Us

facebooklinkedintwitter

May 2020

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE May 11, 2020 Brockville’s Island Breakfast on Refugee Island latest event casualty due to COVID-19



 May 11, 2020

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                                                     

Brockville’s Island Breakfast on Refugee Island latest event casualty due to COVID-19

 

BROCKVILLE – The Island Breakfast on Refugee Island Committee announced today that it will cancel what would have been its seventh year of operation. The closure of Brockville’s City parks and provincial protocols restricting largely attended events due to COVID-19 has resulted in the decision.

The event was scheduled to take place June 17-20th.

“Our committee and volunteers are disappointed however Island Breakfast is not the kind of event that is possible these days, even with some restrictions beginning to loosen,” said Cathy McHugh, spokesperson for Island Breakfast and committee member.

“The logistics of transporting people alone and implementing social distancing on the Island would be impossible.”

Letters went out to sponsors last week thanking them for their support in hopes of their return in 2021. Cheques will be returned to sponsors who had already issued them.

Island Breakfast is made possible through the sponsors and close to 150 volunteers who help set up, purchase and cook food, seek sponsorships, drive boats, sell tickets, manage traffic, tear down, address health and safety issues, provide entertainment and numerous other tasks.

McHugh added a later date this year will not be considered by the committee with so much up in the air right now about restrictions.

“This event does not come together overnight and with so many unknowns, we felt pushing it to 2021 made the most sense,” she said.

The money being raised is to build a pavilion on the island which has already begun. Plans for the next phase have also been postponed (building of posts and roof) due to construction restrictions in the province.

McHugh noted that the Committee has raised $50,000 since inception and currently has enough funds for the next phase of the project however when it will be done, is yet to be determined.

“We hope to complete the next phase by the time the event returns next year,” said McHugh.

Anyone who has received complimentary tickets for the event can use them in 2021.

MEDIA CONTACT:

Cathy McHugh – 613-341-1116 or cathymchugh@cogeco.ca

 

Comments
Login to post comments.